"The West Surrey Cyclist" - Issue 1 - Summer/Autumn 1979

                      THE WEST SURREY CYCLIST
                             NUMBER ONE


     At last the West Surrey District Association of the Cyclists
Touring Club has a voice.  The gestation period of this new
magazine has been lengthy but let us hope it will prove a long
lived and healthy periodical; like the sport we all enjoy.

     I and my faithful helpers (wife, committee et al) hope
to produce an edition every quarter year.  Our ability to do this
depends upon the enthusiasm of DA members writing for the magazine.
It is your magazine please write for it.  This edition contains
no letters but I would encourage all DA members to put their views
on paper so that future editions will have a healthy correspondence

     I look forward to seeing the articles, views etc. that members
will supply for future editions.  Happy cycling and writing.

                            NEW MEMBERS

     The DA welcomes new members and provides regular Sunday runs
and Clubroom evenings for its three sections (Wayfarer, Intermed-
iate and General).  For advice on what will best suit you and a
full Runs List/Newsletter please contact any of the following

     President:        Mr. Bill Inder         Woking 72074
     Runs Secretary:   Mr. Russ Mantle        Aldershot 28275
     CTC Councillor:   Mr. Keith Parfitt      Guildford 60776
     Magazine:         Mr. Robert Shiels      Camberley 61770
     Social Secretary: Mrs Gillian Smith      Woking 61294
     DA Secretary:     Dr Chris Jeggo         Chertsey 65765
     Planning:         Dr Helen Juden         33 Acacia Rd.,

                          MANY A SLIP!

You might think that everyone concerned would rather allow this
particular General's clubrun to quietly sink into the obscurity
of West Surrey CTC folk memory.  However I, who have more reason
than most to avoid embarrassing revelations, have been persuaded
that the happenings of that day should be recorded for posterity.

After all I was the leader, and though my (and Helen's) slip
(we were riding the tandem) was most spectacular of all, involving
copious quantites of mud, a certain amount of blood but thank-
fully no mechanical damage, it was a rather good run if I say so 

In case you should wish to visit the spot, the grid reference is
943344 SW of Chiddingfold on the Killinghurst lane.  I advise
extreme caution at the point where the lane bends right with an
adverse camber and is covered with slimy mud from an adjacent
gateway.  Despite shouting mud! and slowing to what seemed a sen-
sible speed the front wheel slid out, I checked it, both wheels
slid again, and over we went in the brown gooey stuff.  According
to contemporary reports we closely resembled a couple of mud
wrestlers.  But nice clean presentable Clive opened negotiations
at a nearby house where we were made very welcome and shown a
recent photograph of a car with its front wheels halfway up a tree
at the same spot!  Having removed mud from our wounds, which
fortunately were minor, we continued to Midhurst, only noticing
then that Steve was also muddied, but less so, having suffered a
similar fate while avoiding the toppling tandem!

Sunday 9th June was not a good day for tandems.  Descending
Bexley Hill we came upon Dave Butler wheeling his, with only one
wheel that is, while Helen Gill carried a slightly mangled rear

The forecast showers intercepted us shortly before the objective
but we spent a very enjoyable couple of hours dodging in and out
of reconstructed ancient buildings at the Weald and Downland
Museum.  Interiors were viewed during showers, exteriors during
increasingly sunny intervals.  Fortuitously our visit coincided
with a shire horse event which provided added interest.

The by now constant sunshine encouraged a foray into unknown
roughstuff over the Downs, from near Chilgrove (837155) to
Didling (834183) via Linch Down and part of the South Downs Way.
A good track that was firm underfoot (where too steep to ride)
despite recent rain, led upwards through young forestry, with
various wild flowers among the flanking grassy banks, including
the Butterfly Orchid.

From the top of the Down we were able to enjoy sweeping views in
several directions - over the Sussex Weald and also to the Isle
of Wight - one advantage of a good shower of rain being its
clarifying effect on our otherwise dusty atmosphere!

The South Downs Way was easily rideable here, not being over-
used by horses, but the same could not be said for the steep
descent to Didling.  I believe that only Jeff rode all the way
down, while valorous Hamish and Bert both slipped on the greasy
chalk (retiring slightly scathed) and the rest of us thought dis-
cretion the better part, particularly in view of earlier incidents!

Jeff now turned for Southampton and the rest of us enjoyed sunshine
and a helpful wind to tea at Haslemere.  Clive and Tony however,
having missed both opportunities to injure themselves and
obviously feeling left out, were able to contribute three punctures
to our catalogue of mishaps; which gave the rest of us respite from
our hasty attempts to reach tea before the other sections' gannets
ate it all!

We needn't have worried, Doreen's catering as always proved more
than equal to our appetites, and the damage to our outsides was
soon forgotten as our insides became replenished.

                                         Chris Juden

                        FIRST TANDEM RIDE

David said he would never ride one and I insisted on doing a bit
of moon-lighting for one.  If we had one, would it be a custom
built one - too expensive -; a shop production sort of one - too
big -; or a second hand one - maybe.  Just merely discussing the
pro's and con's of one with Simon Doughty at Evan's one day he
immediately gave us the phone number of one being sold.  No, NOT
A WISPA BAR not even a Royal 'one' - but a shining, almost very
new, Claud Butler De Luxe 21"/20" D/G tandem.

David fell in love with the tandem immediately and couldn't wait
to take it for a ride.  He had never ridden one before.  I had
previously had the pleasure of stoking Bill Inder's lovely tandem
- a ride I will always treasure.

Anyway, we rode the tandem from Tadley to Hook, joined the Tandem
Club at Kath Blackman's and caught the train from Hook to Brookwood.
Christened the tandem all the way home with heavy rain.  Managed
to ride it successfully.  The following afternoon we decided on our
maiden voyage.  The Open Day at C.T.C. H.Q. would make a good
destination and negotiating Guildford's traffic would be a fair
trial of steering and stoking abilities.

Managed to get as far as Guildford.  Didn't realise David was such
a wriggler - his lack of balance nearly made me bottle out of
tandeming forever.  Almost argued at one set of traffic lights
(what's new) and while stopping at the pedestrian lights at the
Friary a bus decided to stop crookedly by brushing its rear wheel
off my pedal.  Didn't touch David.  Well folks, that was nearly
It.  After a talking to from my steersman (he was cross cos he
hadn't thrown me completely under the bus - better luck next time,
dear).  I got on the tandem and with gritted determination and
several extra grey hairs we managed to arrive safely at Godalming.

The C.T.C. H.Q. Open Day was great.  Met loads of nice people.
Only the Juden's and us were from the local D.A.  There were loads
of people from all the surrounding D.A.'s and everyone inquiring
after friends in the West Surrey D.A.

Left C.T.C. H.Q. about 4.00 p.m. and rode without further mishap
to Farnham (B3001) and back to Woking via Aldershot.  Had fun
experimenting with ways of starting, stopping, steering, braking
and finding the gears on the new machine.

Alas the rain decided to rechristen our tandem and again Brookwood
saw a very wet Claud Butler and two nutters for the second time in
24 hours.  But it was great fun apart from the bus!

                                       Geraldene Pinkess


The first ever "ladies only weekend" for West Surrey CTC members
was carried out Saturday and Sunday (20/21st April 85) and although
only six took part, it proved a great success. By train to
Portsmouth and across Spithead, the party was pushing its way up
the hill out of Ryde soon after 10.00 a.m.  Near Havenstreet they
had to lift their bikes over a hedge to get past crashed vehicles
completely blocking the narrow road.  After visiting the Robin Hill
Country Park and lunch in the nearby Hare & Hounds, the ride went
on to Godshill, a favourite place for coachloads of tourists most
of whom seem to concentrate on the cafes and souvenir shops and
never go near the most picturesque corner of the village - the old
church perched on a hillside with adjacent thatched cottages that
make a picture often seen on calendars.  Then it was down through
Wroxall to Ventnor for a tour of the Botanic Gardens and cups of
tea before going on to Bonchurch where dinner and overnight accom-
modation had been booked.  Sunday saw the party tackling the land-
slip track to Luccombe and Shanklin where the famous chines were
explored, the latter still housing Pluto (pipe line under the ocean)
that supplied fuel to the troops during the Normandy landings.
After lunch near Bembridge and a visit to the nearby windmill, a
coastline route that avoided all the hills brought them back to
Ryde.  The weather was fine and warm throughout, all daytime meals
being taken outdoors and, after a thoroughly enjoyable weekend,
the return to Woking was achieved by 7.00 p.m.

                                              Gill Smith

          SIXTY YEARS AGO                 G.H. STANCER

(Readers may feel sympathetic even today towards the following
views expressed by the late G.H. Stancer some 60 years ago: Ed.)

Dangerous things, these bicycles!

A CONCERNED correspondent dealt with what we might now consider
to be an obvious necessity:

"Sir, - In view of the recent representations by Watch Committees
and other public bodies in favour of compulsory rear lights on
cycles, may I be permitted to recapitulate briefly the opinions of
cyclists themselves on this subject?

"Cyclists have the strongest objection to being compelled by law
to carry red rear lights, the following being their principal
reasons for this attitude:

1.   It is impossible in many circumstances to keep a lamp alight
at the back of a bicycle, or to know whether it is alight or not.
With the best intentions, therefore, cyclists would constantly
find themselves in the police court, charged with offences committed

2.   It is the duty of every cyclist or driver of a road vehicle to
carry a light adequate for the purposes of illuminating his course.
When such lights are used, red lights on other vehicles are super-

3.   A well-recognised principle of road usage is that the onus of
avoiding accidents between overtaker and overtaken rests upon the
former (e.g. the cyclist must avoid running down pedestrians when
overtaking them, and the motorist must go round cyclists and not
over them).

"If the use of rear lamps were enforced by law, a cyclist riding
along at night would never be able to secure compensation by a
motor vehicle, because the driver would always be able to exonerate
himself by saying that the cyclist's rear lamp was out - as it
certainly would be after the accident, and in the absence of direct
independent evidence to the contrary the cyclist would be accounted
guilty of 'contributory negligence.

4.   Cyclists are fully convinced that their personal safety and
the question of rear lights are not related.  An enormously larger
proportion of accidents occur in daylight than in darkness; and even
if cyclists were in danger at night they would look to the law to
protect them, not to penalise them.  To make 'being in danger' a
criminal offence would be a travesty of law and order.

5.   The pedestrian has no light and enjoys the right to walk in
the road.

"Faster moving travellers, therefore, must light up sufficiently to
see an unilluminated pedestrian.  Their light will reveal a cycle
which is more conspicuous by reason of its own headlight and
glistening fittings, and is overtaken more slowly.

6.   Red lights, as such, do not illuminate the interval between
themselves and the beholder.

"They are deceptive because their distance cannot be accurately

"A dispassionate investigation of the circumstances in which
cyclists have been run down at night will show that excessive
speed on the part of the overtaking vehicle is the prime cause of
such accidents.

                     MACHINES AREN'T THAT GOOD

(The following advertisement blurb is courtesy an automatic trans-
lation device which obviously needs further work before being
allowed to produce Campagnolo quality English: Ed.)

       LEISURE - LOISIR - PIACERE : A new way to ride a bicycle?

This consideration has been proposed by Campagnolo that shows in its
stand two new groups: VICTORY and the TRIOMPHE, also in the "leisure"
version, in addition to the racing one.

We do not believe in a new way of riding a bicycle, as since ever
many people utilize this means without asking to themselves exas-
perated performances, but only the "pleasure" of a healthy and
relaxing ride.

We think instead that this name, chosen by Campagnolo to identify
the two "less racing" versions of Victory and Triomphe, under-
lines the new interest of the Vicenza's Company also in the
cycling branches not strictly agonistic.

The versions "leisure" are distinguished by a wider gear capacity
(long cage plate, large front changer and chainrings up to 35 teeth)
which allows a better comfort of utilization also on distances
having variable planimetry.

We asked to the managing of Campagnolo if to this "leisure" prop-
osal will follow other applicable solutions and we think that the
discretion we have noticed can be interpreted as the confirmation
that other novelties are being studied in this sector.

                            - O -

          Oh! I wish I'd looked after me wheels.
          They used to be bright shining steel.
          Now they're covered in rust,
          And squeak fit to bust.
          Oh! I wish I'd looked after me wheels.

                                    Apologies to Pam Ayres.

                            - O -

                  RESTORING A 1948 TE20 TRACTOR

     I made a decision back in December 1983 to purchase a non-
running, very rusty TE20 tractor for the sum of £60, it had been
in use in 1983, cutting grass at Ripley Court School.

     The first step was to get the 20 back to my firm's workshop
in Ripley, this was carried out by using a modern 100 hp 4 wd
tractor to tow it in, a hazardous job as the brakes on the 20 didn't
work at all.

     The firm's lorry driver said he could get the tractor home for
me but first, I again took advantage of the firm by using their
high pressure steam cleaner in a bid to remove nearly 40 years of
oil and grime.

     With the tractor at home it was a case of removing the rear
wings which I returned to work to plate and weld as these had
rusted badly.  The bonnet was removed and stripped down panels
were welded and plated and missing parts made and fitted.

     Both rear brakes were pulled apart, these having been running
in oil due to the rear half shaft seals being non existent.  New
leather seals were obtained and fitted.  The oil on the brake
linings was burnt out.  The gearbox and hydraulics appeared to
be in good working order so these were left.

     The next major job was to split the tractor in half behind
the engine to replace the rear crankshaft oil seal which had been
leaking.  On splitting, the clutch operating levers were found to
be worn out, luckily I managed to purchase just the levers so
avoiding a large bill for a new clutch.  Replacing the crankshaft
seal was not simple as the engine sump had to be removed and also
the rear crankshaft bearing cap before a new seal could be inserted.

     I next removed the cylinder head for cleaning and in a bid
to reseal the pushrod tubes (which hasn't been satisfactory to
date).  Basically the engine appeared to be little worn but just
in need of a good service.

     Other items which were repaired or serviced included, the
ignition system (as this is a petrol engine) carb, air cleaner,
fuel tank, steering, wheels, exhaust and the electrics generally.

     It was now a process of rebuilding the tractor.  All parts
which were awkward to get out were painted first.  The whole
tractor was rubbed down and rust treated.  Two layers of base paint
was brushed on before applying two coats of grey.  A final coat
of grey was sprayed on.

     The tractor now runs fine although now it has been run, many
minor points need attention.  I have purchased a plough and street
reciprocating knife mower for it.  The cost of restoration to date
is £120; and is now worth somewhere in the region of £700 - £900.
I don't know how many hours my father and I put into restoring the
TE20 but in the end it was really worth it.

Dave Butler

Last revised:  6 September 2004.  W. Surrey DA History & Archives home page.